Women are versatile and capable, but these days we are often overstretched and stressed. There is so much to juggle – from the list of projects to be done at work, to the shopping we need for the fridge, from the registration we need to do online for the kids local team to the bills we need to pay, from the reminder we have to give to the kids about wearing sunscreen to the alarm we have to set to catch the early plane to a meeting, for which we’ve had to arrange all manner of friends and family to take over the school runs that day ! The point is our brains are full of so many things we have to remember and it’s wearing us out ! So, how can we reduce the mental load ? Here’s 10 really useful tricks to relieve your brain of some of that mental load and improve your efficiency at the same time !
- Set reminders in your phone for appointments – never miss a dental appt again !
- Install the Wunderlist App – Create several “To Do Lists” for different areas of your life e.g.. work, home, kids. Every time you think of something add it to the relevant list rather than having to “hold” it in your brain. This can also help when going to sleep to turn off that busy brain.
- Use a service for home cooked meals like “Chefs Palate” . This has been a real game changer for me – no only do I NOT have to do the “what shall I make for dinner tonight” thinking routine, but it saves me hours of shopping time ! It’s really fresh food, delicious and pretty healthy and they do some of the preparation, each meal takes only 20 minutes to cook – heaven! I don’t use it every night just work nights, they deliver once a week to my work. It’s awesome !
- Create a “Groceries” list in the Wunderlist app – every time you run out of something add it to the list – next time you hit the shops it’s all there ready to go, you can share the app with your family members so that they can do the same.
- Create a “Things I would like to do one day” Wunderlist. Add to it restaurants you would like to go to, places you would like to visit, so again you can take those out of your brain, but also have something quick to refer to next time you want to book a holiday/dinner out and can’t think of where to go !
- Delegate ! Are there some tasks you do but in fact someone else could ? Could your son remember to put the bins out each week (don’t laugh you never know….)? Could your mum take the kids to their piano lessons ? Is there a friend or another parent you could share the basketball run with ? Write down some tasks you might be able to allocate out and ASK – sometimes grandparents especially would actually love to help they just like you to ask :), the worst anyone can do is say no.
- Create an In Tray and pick a day to pay the bills. Place all the post/emails in an In tray when they come in and one day a week pay them all at the same time, keeping a disciplined structure like this avoids missing/forgetting bills but gets it out of your head too. Set up an auto debit if you can handle the lack of control 🙂
- If you have to post on Social Media for business : spend half a day thinking of all the posts you need to do for the next few weeks. Then use a scheduling system like “Hopper” for Instagram to plan out all of your posts for the next few weeks. This takes the “what am I going to post” today load off you and means you can actually take some time OFF social media posting.
- Book some time out for yourself to “reset”. Spend a couple of nights in a completely different place to home, preferably with friends and preferably with a “no phones” rule for certain periods of time. Your brain needs a rest and you need to be present and enjoy some fun every now and then before you reload that mental load again ! Beaches and Mountains Girls getaways offer some perfect packages and venues for such a break, you can literally feel your shoulders lower about 3 inches in one weekend, and best of all you get a real nights sleep !
- Finally – so that you look like an awesome friend/family member that NEVER forgets a birthday use an app like “Birthday” to record all the important dates – birthdays, anniversaries and so on – this app pulls across from Facebook and you can add in extras manually, then you can set it to remind you on the day at a certain time by message.
We hope this helps you all with the joys of being the modern woman, wishing you luck girls but remember you deserve a “reset, refresh, rejuvenate” every now and then !
With love from Nicky and the team at